Monday, May 15, 2006

 

Day 11 - 5/15/06

I played like a douchebag yesterday (Sunday). No two ways about it. I was so off my game I felt like Pee Wee Herman at a singles mixer. I will not dignify that day with a number. We are going directly from Day 10 to Day 11 with neither being Sunday. Sunday will henceforth be known as Day 10.5. At any rate, it reminded me that I need to set a better stop-loss. Losing $140 at $50 NL is 280BB. That's a hell of a swing.

Today was looking down. Don't try playing poker when you are distressed. Don't play poker when you're trying to quit smoking. Just don't. After losing another $40 or so I sat out from all of my tables, walked down the stairs of my apartment, knocked on my neighbor's door and got a smoke. Man did I feel better. Ownage commenced.

I 3-tabled $50 6-max for about 3 hours and 700 hands. There aren't that many interesting hands but I made about $220. A lot of my winnings were due to continuation bets and picking up orphaned pots. The only comment I can share about picking up pots is to not make your opponent curious. Don't min-bet. Don't min-raise. Bet the pot with authority. Bet with position. I'm not sure what it is in the software at Full Tilt at least, but the speed in which the bet is jammed out can vary. Maybe I play this game WAY too much, but you'll notice that sometimes your call comes out slowly, sometimes it zooms out. Same with continuation bets. Don't change how you bet according to the whether or not the flop helps you. Bet the same percentage whether you have it or whether you want to take it down. Read the texture of the flop. If there's a draw out there and you're getting a caller, fire again if the draw misses. It's definitely a poker virtue to be able to identify ALL possible draws within seconds. I know it sounds elementary, but I guarantee you that even the best players mis-read a possible draw every once in a while.

The other item is to know your enemy. Get Pokertracker (http://www.pokertracker.com/). No seriously... go now. If you don't have it already you are losing money. It's nice to finally be able to justify a product when proof arises that a product saves you money. The other day I was up against an absolute nit. I knew this because of Pokertracker and PokerAceHud. His pre-flop raise was about 2%. His "Fold to Flop Bet" was about 88%. He was a winning player though over 1k hands that I had on him. I end up having AK and raise it up from the button. He calls in the BB. Flop is A 10 2 rainbow. I like my flop. I bet the pot as I always do. He raises hard. Ok... I just got raised by an ultra-nit. Easy easy easy fold. He shows 10 10 and I thank pokertracker for saving me $40. It doesn't even cost $40 and you can get it for free through a variety of sources. I don't want this blog to seem like an infommercial so I'll leave it to you and www.google.com to figure it out.

Today's crazy hand belongs to 3 dudes with pairs in their pocket.

Full Tilt Poker Game #640794236: Table Coolidge (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 0:43:03 ET - 2006/05/16
Seat 1: RIVERASS ($92.55)
Seat 2: Cheetohresin419 ($20)
Seat 3: dendog07 ($16.30)
Seat 4: LJJones ($61.35)
Seat 5: ks22 ($20.10)
Seat 6: ONTILT0603 ($15.05)
dendog07 posts the small blind of $0.25
LJJones posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LJJones [4c 4s]
ks22 calls $0.50
ONTILT0603 raises to $1
RIVERASS raises to $2.50
dendog07 folds
LJJones calls $2
ks22 folds
ONTILT0603 raises to $4
RIVERASS raises to $11
LJJones folds
ONTILT0603 raises to $15.05, and is all in
RIVERASS calls $4.05
ONTILT0603 shows [Ac Ad]
RIVERASS shows [Qd Qc]
*** FLOP *** [4h 6s 2s]
*** TURN *** [4h 6s 2s] [As]
LJJones: =*** RIVER *** [4h 6s 2s As] [Qh]
ONTILT0603 shows three of a kind, Aces
RIVERASS shows three of a kind, Queens
ONTILT0603 wins the pot ($31.70) with three of a kind, Aces
LJJones: WOW
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $33.35 | Rake $1.65
Board: [4h 6s 2s As Qh]
Seat 1: RIVERASS showed [Qd Qc] and lost with three of a kind, Queens
Seat 2: Cheetohresin419 (button) is sitting out
Seat 3: dendog07 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: LJJones (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: ks22 folded before the Flop
Seat 6: ONTILT0603 showed [Ac Ad] and won ($31.70) with three of a kind, Aces


Not only is this hand crazy, it's worth commenting on my pre-flop play. So why am I calling a big-stack/tight player's raise with pocket 4's? It's pretty simple. There's only a handful of situations in which you are able to snipe a buy-in off someone and most of them involve being a pre-flop underdog. Especially at the levels I am currently playing, if you hold A7 to an A79 flop, you can bet your ass that you are going to get a buy-in from AK/AQ. Not only that, but the tables very quickly turn once a "dominated" hand takes the lead. Look at the odds. A7 vs AK pre-flop is 25/75 in favor of AK. On a flop of A79 our friend AK is now drawing to 3 outs and is an 8 to 1 dog (12%). That's good stuff. Same with pocket pair. 44 vs AA is 18/82 or so. If the flop comes 4 8 2 AA is now drawing to 2 outs (or running straight) for a wopping 8%. This is where money is made in cash games. Almost every profitable situation against competent opponents includes being a pre-flop underdog.

Back to the point. Our friend the opening-raisor is also the big-stack and the only person at the table that can double me up. Yes, this is a serious consideration. If the original raisor had $5, I'm folding. It's not worth it. But since I can get entangled in a hand with someone who can pay us off, I'm going to take a shot at it knowing I'm behind. Obviously a raise to $11 and the subsequent all-ins is way too much for us.

Ending bankroll: $1,229.12

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?